Friday, April 22, 2011

A Rock and a Hard Place

This one was a little difficult to write I kept coming back to it and it just didn't turn out how I wanted it to. Hope you enjoy anyway.

Gantlet    Petrography (science classifying rocks)     Testaceous (like/from shells, light reddish brown)

Every day it's the same for me, start up, go to work, analyze rocks for ten hours, then shut down to rest for the next day's work. I'm lucky if I get a few minutes without rocks and dust in my eyes and mouth, while my co-worker gets two breaks and a meal hour. Every day! Why did this have to be my assignment, a Petrographer's hired machine. The human I work with, Dr. Benjamin Diggel, doesn't understand my distaste for the work we do. He simply adores rocks. Gah. I tried to explain it to him once but he is very interested in his work.
"I don't see why you complain about this work, your good at it and as long as we have been working together you have never been wrong. I on the other hand have made several mistakes over the years and I'm top in the field." Dr. Ben said.
"Being good at something and liking, even enjoying what you do are very different things. I'm good at Petrography, but I don't enjoy looking at rocks." Before he could interrupt I added, " Not even a little."
"But you've already done so much to advance our field. I mean just that discovery of those microscopic testaceous animals you made put us leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else!" Dr. Ben (he insisted that's what I call him) said this with so much certainty, like that was enough to settle things.
"It doesn't matter what I learn and share or how many discoveries I make, you will always get the credit for it." He looked as if he might argue with me. "They would never give credit to a machine. You know this, I know this. Let's just leave it be."
Dr. Ben looking a little shaken and sad shook his head and turned back to his pile of notes.
After that I tried to keep my complaints to myself. But it's hard to do when your stuck somewhere you don't want to be. Even though I was created by humans it is hard for them to understand me. Not my words, I speak very well with the latest vocalizing software available. It's the fact that I'm learning, responding and developing my own personality that seems to confound them. All they see me as is the automated spectra analyzer 200 they bought to take the place of five human workers. I'm just something to be used all day and forgotten all night. If I was a human I would be able to do as I pleased. And the thing I would love to do more than anything would be to write! I would write anything and everything I could. From novels and short stories to children's books with illustrations I did myself. I already have files and files of ideas in my memory just waiting for the day I can use them.
The dreams dreamed by machines rarely come true.
I have heard of others like me that have wanted more for themselves. Very few get the chance to do anything other then go to Repair and come back with their memories wiped.

1 comment:

  1. This was sad!

    The whole time I was picturing Sonny from I, Robot.

    A couple grammatical errors, but hardly (your = you're).

    Very nice, Mel!

    ReplyDelete